[kepler-dev] Mapping/Data Tools

Dan Higgins higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon Aug 9 10:54:13 PDT 2004

Hi All,
    I have spent some time recently looking for existing open source
code for interpolation/gridding of 2-D data for possible use in Kepler.
I did manage to find several very interestng sites that others may find
of interest.

Generic Mapping Tools --- http://gmt.soest.hawaii.edu/
This site has a whole series of applications designed to run on the
command line for manipulating data and creating postscript graphs/maps.
Source code is available, but perhaps more interesting for kepler is
that the code is designed to run from the command line. That means that
we can easily run it in Kepler using the CommandLine or Exec actors! Of
the 80 some codes, ones I found particularly interesting are several 2D
filtering/decimators code (blockmean, blockmedian) and gridding
algorithms (nearneighbor (Nearest-neighbor gridding scheme, surface
(Continuous curvature gridding algorithm), and triangulate( Perform
optimal Delauney triangulation on /xyz/ data).

Ngmath Library --- (http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ngdoc/ng/ngmath/)
Some routines of interest are described below (from their web page)

    * natgrid
      <http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ngdoc/ng/ngmath/natgrid/nnhome.html> -- a
      two-dimensional random data interpolation package based on Dave
      Watson's package nngridr
      <http://www.iinet.com.au/%7Ewatson/nngridr.html>.
    * dsgrid <http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ngdoc/ng/ngmath/dsgrid/dshome.html>
      -- a three-dimensional random data interpolator based on a simple
      inverse distance weighting
      <http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ngdoc/ng/ngmath/definitions.html#InverseDistance>
      algorithm.
    * fitgrid
      <http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ngdoc/ng/ngmath/fitgrid/fithome.html> -- an
      interpolation package for one-dimensional and two-dimensional
      gridded data based on Alan Cline
      <http://www.ticam.utexas.edu/cam/people/faculty/CLINE.html>'s
      package Fitpack, an early version of which is available from
      netlib <http://www.hensa.ac.uk/netlib/>. Fitpack uses splines
      under tension to interpolate in one and two dimensions.
    * csagrid
      <http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ngdoc/ng/ngmath/csagrid/csahome.html> -- an
      approximation package for one-dimensional, two-dimensional, and
      three-dimensional random data based on David Fulker
      <http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/dave/homepage.html>'s package
      Splpack. Csagrid uses cubic splines to calculate its approximation
      function.
    * cssgrid
      <http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ngdoc/ng/ngmath/cssgrid/csshome.html>  --
      an interpolation package for random data on the surface of a
      sphere. Cssgrid uses cubic splines to calculate its interpolation
      function. Cssgrid is based on the work of Robert Renka
      <http://www.cs.unt.edu/%7Erenka/>.
    * shgrid <http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ngdoc/ng/ngmath/shgrid/shhome.html>
      -- an interpolation package for random data in 3-space. Shgrid
      uses a modified Shepard's algorithm to calculate its interpolation
      function. Shgrid is based on the work of Robert Renka
      <http://www.cs.unt.edu/%7Erenka/>.

Dan Higgins                                  higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/    Ph: 805-892-2531
735 State Street - Room 205