[kepler-dev] Combining the CommandLine and Exec actors

Bertram Ludaescher ludaesch at sdsc.edu
Sun Aug 8 22:58:01 PDT 2004

TF> On Sun, 8 Aug 2004, Dan Higgins wrote:
>> On Friday on IRC, you mentioned the possibility of combining the
>> CommandLine and Exec actors. I thought I would just write down some
>> thoughts on that idea.
TF>
TF> Hi Dan,
TF>
TF> This is a good summary of the differences between the various Exec-like
TF> actors.  I've been pondering this lately and agree that they should be
TF> combined.  Maybe we could combine them via a set of options:
TF>
TF> 1. Keep the process running, or execute it once per firing?

you mean: keep process running or exit after each firing, right?
(you might still execute the command once per firing *without* exiting
the process)

TF> 2. Execute directly, or via a shell command?

yep -- each one can come handy

TF> 3. Relations carry string input/output, or filenames?

.. or file handles!

TF> My own view is that it's a little weird to be using files at all, except
TF> perhaps for efficiency reasons ("the third party problem").

yes, efficiency is an issue.

I've been recently thinking about this as follows:
each port/datum should have several "types":

- the conventional "data type" (current PT2 type system)
- a "semantic type" (we're cooking something there ;-)
- a "transport type" (e.g., to processes might communicate natively
as Java objects, or via http, or via gridFTP, or via sockets, or via
CORBA, or via main memory! -- how's that for starters?? ;-)
- an event production/consumption type. This is for scheduling a la
SDF. But this "type" is not a property of an individual port. Rather
such a firing rule is a constraint expression

TF> Additionally, another possible function:
TF>
TF> 4.  parameters to express how tokens are translated into input for the
TF> program, and (more importantly), how the program's output is tokenized for
TF> input into kepler.
TF>
TF> At a minimum, I think we need to be able to specify a regular expression
TF> giving the 'field separator' that will indicate that the program's output
TF> so far can be bundled up into a token.  It can default to "\n".

I like that. That's very hand's on. So if you have a string such as
"foo\n bar\n baz\n" this could be configured to either produce one
token or three tolens (with \n the delimiter)...

nice!

Digression: another nice feature is to have "parameterized commands".

For example the command
	mycmd -s $1 -t $2 -o $3
could be exposed as an actor with (in this case) say two input ports
for the s and t values, and one output port for the o value.

I guess this can already be done with the cmd line actor as is...