[kepler-dev] Combining the CommandLine and Exec actors

Dan Higgins higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
Sun Aug 8 14:56:32 PDT 2004

Ilkay,
    On Friday on IRC, you mentioned the possibility of combining the
CommandLine and Exec actors. I thought I would just write down some
thoughts on that idea.

1) The two actors are similar enough that combining them is probably a
good idea. There are some subtle differences, however, that I am not
sure I fully understand.

2) The CommandLine actor uses the OS-specific commandline shell program
for launching files ('cmd.exe' on WindowsXP, 'sh' on Unix machines) to
launch a process. This allows the use of all features that one can put
on a command line, including the use of file based io redirection (e.g.
'program < infile >outfile'). Currently there is not an input stream
port for data being sent to the process being launched (but there can be
an input file), but there is an output port.

3) The Exec actor does not use the the commandline executable, but
rather launches a subprocess directly with support for input/streams
being directly connected. Command line redirection to/from files cannot
be done with this approach, although the whole thing is simpler because
it doesn't involve an intermediate program (the shell) to run the
subprocess. The Exec actor also has special threads for grabbing io
streams (and I believe these are needed, at times, on Windows).

4) Both the CommandLine and Exec actors wait for the subprocess to
complete. The InteractiveExec actor is an attempt to let the underlying
subprocess continue operating and thus avoid repeated code startup
delays. It still has some problems with when to shut down the subprocess.

5) Simply adding an input stream to the CommandLine actor would make it
quite similar to the Exec actor. There would be some confusion about
what the presence of  both inputFileHandle and input stream parameters
might mean. [I am not sure what it means to tell the commandline shell
to use standard input AND redirect the input from a file ? --- And I
assume the actor would send info from an input to the commandline shell
which would forward it to the program that it launched?] I would guess
that if the stream io connections were added to CommandLine, we should
also use the stream grabber threads that seem to be needed for Windows.

6) Should we add a parameter to allow the subprocess that is launched to
return without completing? (i.e. continue to run) This could be quite
useful with some processes (like R) to avoid reloading code and for
showing displays created by the subprocess. The process would be created
on the first 'fire' event, and we would have to figure out how to
reliably shut it down later.

7) Also note that the Exec actor has some 'expert' parameters that allow
for setting execution directories and environment variables for the
subprocess being launched. These could be useful at times and should
probably be included.

Questions and Comments appreciated.

Dan Higgins
NCEAS