[kepler-dev] VNC for 'detached execution' of Kepler?

Tobin Fricke tobin at splorg.org
Thu Aug 5 12:00:14 PDT 2004

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, Bertram Ludaescher wrote:

> Steve Parker just mentioned the Virtual Network Computing Package.
>
> This could provide a (simple?) solution for some of our Kepler/HPC
> activities, i.e., where one starts a long running job and where the
> control instance/workflow engine (Kepler/Ptolemy) needs to continue to
> run as well for a long time.

I was thinking about this recently in the context of a vnc-like program
called 'xmx' ("X protocol multiplexor"):

	http://www.livejournal.com/users/nibot_lab/29262.html

It would certainly work and be easy to accomplish (it's definitely
simple), but seems quite a kludge. (I'm reminded of an Apple "server room"
I once saw at school, where there was a huge rack of monitors and
keyboards and some KVM switches, since there was no way to remotely
administrate MacOS at the time.)

A similar program for console-mode programs is 'GNU screen' -- very handy,
btw.

A more ambitious (but cleaner) scheme would be to define a network
interface between vergil and ptexecute, so that you could
connect/disconnect instances of the GUI (vergil) to running instances of
Ptolemy (ptexecute)  on the fly.

tobin