[kepler-dev] right-click on Mac

Christopher Hylands Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Apr 27 12:16:06 PDT 2004

It is hard to describe these things precisely using words.

Say for example, you have a composite actor that has an output port.
Inside the composite actor, you want to create an output port and
connect it to a relation.  Note that this is a composite actor, not an
atomic actor like Ramp.

To do this:
1. Start up Ptolemy
2. File -> New -> Graph Editor
3. Click on the output port icon in the tool bar.
This icon is two icons to the right of the stop button and looks like:

     |\_
     | _|
     |/

4. Click on a the relation diamond.
5. Try to connect them.
Currently, one uses Control Click.
You can either have the mouse over the port do control-click and drag,
or you can do control-click and create another relation and drag to
the port.

There could be another way to do this that I do not know about.
We are open to suggestions here, I don't think we've hit on precisely
the right functionality.

-Christopher

--------

    Hi Christopher,

    I hope I don't sound too dense, but I still don't understand what you
    mean by "I think if we disable this control-click functionality, then
    there is no way to connect from an external port to a relation."

    As an example, if I drag a generic source onto a blank canvas, I can
    click the black diamond in the toolbar to create a relation, then drag
    (without pressing control) from the output port of the source to the
    diamond to connect them.

    I realize you can do this by control-dragging as well, but they seem to
    do the same thing to me.

    The only difference I can see is that dragging and control-dragging the
    actual relation performs different functions.  Dragging on a relation
    just moves it, while control-dragging creates a connection from it to a
    port.

    While useful, the ability to control-drag on a relation isn't
    essential.  Since a relation is always connected to a port and not to
    another relation, I could create a connection between a relation and a
    port by starting a drag (without pressing control) at the port.

    Can you please explain to me in what circumstances you absolutely need
    to be able to control-click or control-drag?

    Thanks!

    Xiaowen

    On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 09:51, Christopher Hylands Brooks wrote:
> [...]
    >     > > >>java.endorsed.dirs =
    >     > > >>/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.1/Home
   /lib/e
    >    ndorsed
    >     > > >>os.arch = ppc
    >     > > >>java.io.tmpdir = /tmp
    >     > > >>line.separator =
    >     > > >>
    >     > > >>java.vm.specification.vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc.
    >     > > >>jnlpx.remove = true
    >     > > >>os.name = Mac OS X
    >     > > >>apple.laf.useScreenMenuBar = true
    >     > > >>sun.java2d.fontpath =
    >     > > >>sun.java2d.noddraw = true
    >     > > >>java.library.path = /Applications/Utilities/Java/Java Web
    >     > > >>Start.app/Contents/MacOS/../../Contents/Resources/Java/
    >     > > >>java.specification.name = Java Platform API Specification
    >     > > >>java.class.version = 48.0
    >     > > >>java.util.prefs.PreferencesFactory =
    >     > > >>java.util.prefs.MacOSXPreferencesFactory
    >     > > >>os.version = 10.2.6
    >     > > >>ptolemy.ptII.dir = Users/tz/Library/Caches/Java Web
    >     > > >>Start/cache/http/Dptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/P80/DMptolemyII/DMp
   tII3.0
    >    /DMjnlp-3.0.1/DMsigned
    >     > > >>user.home = /Users/tz
    >     > > >>user.timezone = America/Los_Angeles
    >     > > >>java.security.policy = file:/Applications/Utilities/Java/Java W
   eb
    >     > > >>Start.app/Contents/MacOS/javaws.policy
    >     > > >>java.awt.printerjob = apple.awt.CPrinterJob
    >     > > >>trustProxy = true
    >     > > >>java.specification.version = 1.4
    >     > > >>file.encoding = MacRoman
    >     > > >>user.name = tz
    >     > > >>com.apple.javaws.vmversions = 1.4.1 1.3.1
    >     > > >>java.class.path = /Applications/Utilities/Java/Java Web
    >     > > >>Start.app/Contents/MacOS/javaws.jar
    >     > > >>jnlpx.vmargs = " -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true"
    >     > > >>java.vm.specification.version = 1.0
    >     > > >>sun.arch.data.model = 32
    >     > > >>java.home = /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Version
   s/1.4.
    >     > > >>java.specification.vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc.
    >     > > >>user.language = en
    >     > > >>awt.toolkit = apple.awt.CToolkit
    >     > > >>java.vm.info = mixed mode
    >     > > >>java.version = 1.4.1_01
    >     > > >>java.ext.dirs =
    >     > > >>/Library/Java/Extensions:/System/Library/Java/Extensions:/Syste
   m/Libr
    >    ary/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.1/Home/lib/ext
    >     > > >>sun.boot.class.path =
    >     > > >>/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.1/Clas
   ses/cl
    >    asses.jar:/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.1/C
   lasses
    >    /ui.jar:/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.1/Cla
   sses/l
    >    af.jar:/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.1/Clas
   ses/su
    >    nrsasign.jar:/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.
   1/Clas
    >    ses/jsse.jar:/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.
   1/Clas
> [...]
    >     > > >>     the toolbar...  awkward, but I can't think of anything els
   e...
    >     > > >>
    >     > > >>     I don't think putting a "Create relations" option in the
    >     > > >>     context menu will be very useful...
    >     > > >>
    >     > > >>     I'm guessing that creating arcs won't be a problem because
    >     > > >>     that is "control-drag" not "control-click".  But I guess w
    >     > > >>     should try it on a mac.
    >     > > >>
    >     > > >>     Edward
    >     > > >>
    >     > > >>
    >     > > >>
    >     > > >>     At 08:53 AM 6/30/2003 -0700, Christopher Hylands wrote:
    >     > > >>  >Below are some random notes
    >     > > >>  >
    >     > > >>  >I poked around and searching google with
    >     > > >>  >   Java Mac right mouse click
    >     > > >>  >
    >     > > >>  >Brings up a link to the Apple  site that appears to be dead.
    >     > > >>  >The google cache suggests using isPopupTrigger:
    >     > > >>  >
    >     > > >>  >--start--
    >     > > >>  >Contextual Menus
    >     > > >>  >
    >     > > >>  >There is no problem supporting contextual menus in your Java
    >     > > >>  >applications on Mac OS Xthey are fully supported. There are
    >     > > >>  >slight differences in terminology though. Java calls them po
   pup
    >     > > >>  >menus while Aqua calls them contextual menus. More important
    is
    >     > > >>  >how they are triggered on different platforms. On Mac OS X,
    >     > > >>  >they are triggered by a Control-click. (By default, the seco
   nd
    >     > > >>  >button of a two-button mouse maps to Control-click in Mac OS
    >     > > >>  >X.) In Windows, the right mouse button is the standard trigg
   er
    >     > > >>  >for contextual menus.
    >     > > >>  >
    >     > > >>  >These are two very different cases, which could result in
    >     > > >>  >fragmented and conditional code. One important aspect of bot
    >     > > >>  >triggers is shared, the mouse click. To ensure that your
    >     > > >>  >program is interpreting the proper contextual menu trigger,
   it
    >     > > >>  >is again a good idea to ask the AWT to do the interpreting f
   or
    >     > > >>  >you with java.awt.event.MouseEvent.isPopupTrigger.
    >     > > >>  >
    >     > > >>  >The method is defined in java.awt.event.MouseEvent because y
   ou
    >     > > >>  >need to activate the contextual menu through a
    >     > > >>  >java.awt.event.MouseListener on a given component when a mou
   se
    >     > > >>  >event on that component is detected. The important thing to
    >     > > >>  >determine is how and when to detect the proper event. In Mac
    OS
   .
   ,