[eml-dev] quick question on adding citation information

David Blankman dblankman1 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 8 00:18:08 PST 2013

I would certainly be in favor of improving compatibility with ISO and other
internationalization issue since I am working now primarily in a European
context.

David

*David Blankman*
Chair, ILTER Information Management Committee
Director, Information Management, Israel LTER

972-77-442-1951
972-54-685-9345 (mobile)
1-505-349-5680 (Skype)
dblankman (Skype)

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 5:51 PM, Matt Jones <jones at nceas.ucsb.edu> wrote:

> [...]
>
>> Chris and Carl,
>>
>> I agree with Chris' interpretation of the specification, and would not
>> recommend putting a general literature citation under
>> methods/methodStep/citation or under software. Those elements are best used
>> to link to protocols and other documents specific to the parent elements,
>> and viewers would not think to look for citations referencing the entire
>> data set there.
>>
>> And no, we did not specifically address this issue in the first LTER EML
>> Best Practices document in 2004, and I don't recall that issue being
>> addressed version 2 in 2011 either (but Margaret can correct me if I'm
>> wrong).
>>
>> In my opinion, it makes less sense to embed citations to publications in
>> data than citations to data in publications, so we do not attempt to
>> shoe-horn citations into EML documents using additionalMetadata or other
>> approaches. The data used in a publication is fixed at the time of
>> publication, whereas a published data set will ideally be used and cited
>> many times (hey - I'm an optimist), so literature citations in data sets
>> would quickly stale and require ongoing document maintenance to keep
>> current.
>>
>> I think the best approach to this issue, long-term, is to rely on data
>> registries and link-outs associated with journals to provide this type of
>> association.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Wade Sheldon
>> GCE-LTER Information Manager
>>

>> On 12/6/2013 8:18 AM, Christopher Jones wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Carl,
>>>
>>> I'd say what you're trying to do is pretty fundamental, and should be
>>> straight forward.  However, I think you've highlighted an issue that is a
>>> consequence of a design transition that happened in the EML schemas quite a
>>> while ago.
>>>
>>> In the first designs of EML, the last of which was EML 2 Beta 6 <
>>> https://code.ecoinformatics.org/code/eml/tags/RELEASE_EML_2_0_0_BETA_6/>,
>>> each of the EML modules were linkable to each other in an RDF-like syntax
>>> (see the <triple> tag in eml-resource <https://code.ecoinformatics.
>>> org/code/eml/tags/RELEASE_EML_2_0_0_BETA_6/eml-resource.png>).  And so
>>> what you're describing would entail creating an EML Dataset document, then
>>> an EML Citation document, and then linking the two with a relationship
>>> ("citation.1.1" "is citation for" "dataset.1.1").
>>>

>>> This obviously provided plenty of flexibility, but also a degree of
>>> complexity, and so the community decided to move toward a hierarchical
>>> structure with a top-level eml.xsd schema.  In doing so, some of the module
>>> relationships were hard-coded into the EML schema hierarchy, and at the top
>>> level, datasets and citations were encoded as top-level choices, and as you
>>> point out, are mutually exclusive.
>>>
>>> As I do a quick scan of the schemas for references to eml-literature
>>> CitationType, the module is used in the following other modules:

>>> eml-attribute.xsd
>>> eml-coverage.xsd
>>> eml-methods.xsd
>>> eml-physical.xsd