Measurement scale in EML

Peter McCartney peter.mccartney at asu.edu
Mon Feb 21 08:03:14 PST 2005

This exchange served to fire up the IMexec meeting last week so we all
owe John thanks (blame?) for launching it. It gave us a venue to vent
similar frustrations many of us have had and inspired us to ask
ourselves - if semantic ontologies (as opposed to gross statistical
categories) are required to really make use of a data variable, then why
not investigate whether we can build an LTER library of variable
descriptions in OWL? Again, the storet code system was cited as a
precedent for how we could use these. We defined a working group task
which (assuming it draws interest from IM) will attempt to inventory the
potential for generating a limited set of ontologies for a suite of
commoly occurring measures accross LTER sites. This is potentially a
significant leverage to SEEK which, up to now at least, has focused on
ontologies that map ecological knowledge at a very high level with
little thought yet to how these will link to actual online datasets. a
few of us spent some time after hours looking at GEON's use of
ontologies and felt that a community process similar to that which has
generated our unit defintions, could begin to generate some variable
definitions that can be shared and linked to EML as external domain
definitions.

That said, we still have a long way to go to  figure out how we will
start, so votes of interest and suggestions from the floor are welcome!