temporal coverage tags, alternativeTimeScale

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Fri Oct 22 12:56:45 PDT 2004

Hi Margaret,

AlternativeTimeScale was written (originally by me for the BDP, and
modified in the EML2 process) to accomodate various stratigraphic and
geologic time scales.

The documentation stating to put "ongoing" in those fields (or anywhere)
is a hack, and a bad one at that, that incorrectly uses
alternativeTimeScale.

The problem is this: a data set that is ongoing isn't really ongoing
from the data user's perspective, because at any given point in time the
temporal coverage of the data returned is a fixed interval.  Many data
managers don't want to deal with the fact that when their data sets
change the metadata describing those data should also be updated.  One
way to get around updating is to say that data colleciton is "ongoing",
but this is meaningless to a search engine.  Let me illustrate with an
example.

Lets say I collect data in 1985, 86, 87, and 88.  I create a metadata
document that says my temporal coverage is 1985-1988.  Someone queries
the metadata to find all data collected in 1988, and my data set is
returned in the list of matching results.  Perfect. Now, lets say I
really intend to collect annually, so instead I change my metadata to
say the temporal coverage is 1985-ongoing.  Someone does a search for
data in collected in 1988 -- should the metadata search engine return
the data set as a match?  What if I search for 2004, should it return a
match even though the only data are actually collected up to 1988?

This comes down to an issue of metadata maintenance.  Putting ongoing
into any field is a horrible practice because 1) it reduces the
information about the actual temporal coverage of the data that is
currently available, and 2) it is highly prone to error because people
WILL forget to update their metadata record when their data collection
actually stops.  So from a best practices perspective, its a horrible
practice in my opinion.  If you want to indicate to someone that you
intend to collect more data, by all means indicate that in the
samplingDesign and other methods sections.  But not in temporalCoverage,
which describes the data you have already collected, not what you plan
to collect.

We've had this discussion in the EML group before.  I lost this battle
before, and thus the hack was placed in the EML documentation.  Some
people probably still support this practice.  I don't.

Hope this has been helpful.
Matt

Matt Jones                                     jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
University of California Santa Barbara