[ecoinfo] [CfP] - Last Call for Papers - The 3rd ACM Int'l Workshop on Multimedia Analysis for Ecological Data - MAED 2014 at ACM MM 2014

MAED Organizing Committee maed at dieei.unict.it
Tue Jul 1 07:45:38 PDT 2014

[ Apologies for cross-postings / Please send to interested colleagues]

                                      MAED 2014
    The 3rd ACM International Workshop on Multimedia Analysis for
Ecological Data
                                (Regular and Data Challenge workshop)
              http://maed2014.dieei.unict.it
                                 November 7, 2014, Orlando, Florida
                                  in association with ACM MM 2014
Pattern Recognition (GIRPR)
Extended and peer-reviewed versions of selected papers will be published in
the special
issue "Fine-Grained Categorization in Ecological Multimedia" of Pattern
Recognition Letters
Journal (Elsevier).

CALL FOR PAPERS

Digital cameras and sensors are used increasingly in a range of monitoring
or exploratory applications, in particular for biological, geological and
physical surveys. These technologies have revolutionized our ability to
capture multimedia data on large scale for environmental monitoring and are
also greatly improving our ability to effectively manage natural resources
and increasing our competitiveness. For example, the Xeno-canto  project
has recorded several thousands of bird sounds from all over the world; the
Pl at ntNet project has collected massive plant images for analyzing
geographic distribution of plants in the Mediterranean area; the
Fish4Knowledge project has recorded many Terabytes of video data for
monitoring Taiwanese coral reefs.
Despite the recent technology advances has enabled massive data collection,
its analysis usually requires very time-consuming and expensive input by
human observers. This analytical “bottleneck” greatly restricts the use of
these technologies and demands for efficient organization, browsing and
retrieval tools to enable proactive provision of analytical information.
The automated analysis of such ecology-related multimedia data presents new
challenges and  the results are of great interest to the general public
(e.g. considering mobile-based plant recognition applications for amateurs)
as well as to domain experts. Examples of the latter include biologists
working on understanding the natural environment, promoting its
preservation, and studying the behavior and interactions of the living
organisms (insects, animals, etc.) that are part of it.

The 3rd ACM International Workshop on Multimedia Analysis for Ecological
Data features two tracks:
1) Regular Track aiming to present and report on the most recent methods
for the management, processing, interpretation, and visualization of
multimedia data recorded for monitoring ecological systems, with particular
attention to the understanding of the behavior of animals and insects.
2) Data Challenge Track aiming to test image retrieval, computer vision and
machine learning methods on a complex and extensive ecological visual
dataset, which poses significant challenges in large-scale visual analysis,
feature indexing and similarity search. For more details, see
http://maed2014.dieei.unict.it/data-challenge-track/

Papers may be submitted to any of the two tracks, and there is no
requirement for participating to the data challenge in order to submit a
regular paper, and vice versa. Both regular and data challenge submissions
will be peer-reviewed and accepted submissions will be included in the
workshop proceedings.

IMPORTANT DATES

REGULAR WORKSHOP
    -- Extended Deadline for paper submission: July 15, 2014
    -- Notification of acceptance: August 7, 2014
    -- Deadline for camera ready paper and registration: August 24, 2014
    -- October 12, 2012: workshop day

DATA CHALLENGE TRACK
    -- Data Challenge Registration: April 30, 2014
    -- Training Data Release: May 7, 2014
    -- Test Data Release: May 20, 2014
    -- Deadline for run submission: July 07, 2014
    -- Notification of acceptance and release of results: August 7, 2014
    -- Deadline for camera ready paper and registration: August 24, 2014

SCOPE

The topics of interest for the convention include, but are not limited to,
the following areas:

    -- Ecological Multimedia Content Analysis and Processing
    -- Ecological Multimedia Indexing and Retrieval
    -- Computer Vision for Ecological Video/Image Processing
    -- Animals and Insects Behavior and Event Understanding
    -- Video and Signal Based Surveillance of Ecological Sites
    -- Participatory and Social Environmental Media Analysis
    -- Multimedia Systems and Middleware for Ecological Data
    -- Summarization, browsing and organization of ecological content
    -- Interfaces, presentation, integration and visualization tools of
ecological data
    -- Methods for ecological content annotation including crowdsourcing
solutions
    -- Semantic Web approaches for ecological data sharing and
representation
    -- Semantic and ontology-driven understanding of ecological data content
    -- Fine-grained indexing, recognition, classification, categorization
and crowdsourced discovery of fine-grained attributes

ORGANIZATION

*   Concetto Spampinato, University of Catania, Italy
*   Vasileios Mezaris, Centre for Research and Technology Hellas – Greece.
*   Marco Cristani, Università degli Studi di Verona, Italy

PROGRAM COMMITTEE

Alexander Loos (Fraunhofer IDMT, DE)
Alexis Joly (INRIA, FR)
Angel Sappa (Computer Vision Center, ES)
Antoine Vacavant (Université d’Auvergne Clermont 1, FR)
Barbara Caputo (Idiap Research Institute, China)
Bas Boom (University of Edinburgh, UK)
Benoit Huet (EURECOM, FR)
Daniela Giordano (University of Catania, IT)
Fei-Fei Li (Stanford University, US)
Francesco De Natale (University of Trento, IT)
Gabriella Sanniti di Baia (CNR, IT)
Harald Bosch (University of Stuttgart, DE)
Jenny Benois-Pineau (University of Bordeaux, FR)
Kostas Karatzas (Aristotle Univ. of Thessaloniki, EL)
Leo Wanner (Universitat Pompeu Fabra, ES)
Loris Bazzani (Dartmouth College,US)
Margrit Betke (Boston University, US)
Nikolaos Gkalelis (CERTH-ITI, Greece & Imperial College London, UK)
Nicu Sebe (University of Trento, IT)
Ryan Farrell (Brigham Young University, US)
Stefanos Vrochidis (CERTH-ITI, Greece & Queen Mary University, UK)
Yuanqing Lin (NEC Labs America, US)
Yiannis Kompatsiaris (CERTH-ITI, EL)
Victor Lempitsky (Skolkovo Institute of Science and Technology, RU)
Vittorio Murino (Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, IT)

SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS

Authors are invited to check the MAED 2014 website link
http://maed2014.dieei.unict.it/paper-submission/
for details regarding the submission instructions.

PROCEEDINGS
The Workshop proceedings will be published together with the proceedings of
the main conference. Extended and peer-reviewed versions of selected papers
will be published in the special issue "Fine-Grained Categorization in
Ecological Multimedia" of Pattern Recognition Letters Journal (Elsevier).

RESOURCES
* MAED 2014 homepage:
http://maed2014.dieei.unict.it/
* Twitter: