[ecoinfo] Training workshop: Software Tools for Sensor Networks

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Feb 29 21:37:17 PST 2012

Training workshop: Software Tools for Sensor Networks

We are pleased to announce a training workshop “Software Tools for Sensor
Networks” sponsored by NCEAS <http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/>,
LTER<http://www.lternet.edu>,
and DataONE <http://www.dataone.org>. The training workshop will be held
May 1 - May 4, 2012 at the LTER Network Office in Albuquerque, NM.  We have
support to cover travel and lodging for participants that need it.
Registration is now open with a deadline of March 25, 2012. Please see
http://sensor-workshop.ecoinformatics.org/  to register. Your participation
will be confirmed by April 2, 2012. Participants will be selected to
broadly represent the ecological and environmental science community. A
draft agenda and resources are currently listed on the webpage and will be
more fully detailed in the coming weeks.

The goal of this training is to promote best practices for sensor data
management and provide hands-on training in the use of existing tools and
common software. This workshop is designed to introduce several options for
managing streaming sensor data and discuss requirements for sensor data
management systems and best practices in quality assurance and quality
control (QA/QC). Hands-on exercises will focus on open source software
stacks such as the Open Source DataTurbine (OSDT), the Kepler Workflow
System with R, and CUAHSI's Observation Data Model to capture, quality
control, and archive sensor data. Ultimately, we hope that this training
will stimulate collaborative efforts where sites can share tool experiences
or even code development.

• Workshop dates: May 1 - May 4 (noon), 2012; Travel days: April 30 and May
4 afternoon.
• Registration deadline: March 25, 2012
• Participant confirmation: April 1, 2012
• Location: LTER Network Office, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM
• We have support to cover travel and lodging for participants that need it.

For more information and to register for the workshop, please visit:
http://sensor-workshop.ecoinformatics.org/

Matt Jones
NCEAS, UC Santa Barbara

Corinna Gries