[ecoinfo] Questions and Research on Scientific Workflows

Richard Littauer richard.littauer at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 10:20:33 PDT 2011

Dear colleagues,

Do you investigate or use scientific workflows in your academic or research
work, or are you a project developer for scientific workflow systems? If so,
we'd love to hear from you.

As part of the Data Observation Network for Earth (DataONE <
http://www.dataone.org>), we are researching workflow systems and workflow
complexity. In this project, we are examining a large number of the
scientific workflows that have been constructed, in order to develop a way
of categorizing workflows based on their complexity, types of processing
steps employed, and other factors. Most of this work is being done by
examining workflows on repositories such as myExperiment <
http://www.myexperiment.org>; however, it is possible that the workflows
loaded onto such repositories are not representative of workflows being used
on a daily basis by scientists doing their work. For more information,
please consult our open notebook at http://notebooks.dataone.org/workflows

In this regard, we'd love to get in touch with scientists currently using
scientific workflows, either on local machines or using grids. Please get in
contact with richard [dot] littauer [at] gmail [dot] com if you:

   - routinely use workflows, and wouldn't mind sharing them
   - have any relevant information on workflow usage or research in the
   scientific community
   - know of any science publications that happen to mention in some form or
   other how the authors have used scientific workflows in conducting their
   science
   - are aware of any faults between workflow systems, in the categorisation
   of workflows, or of inadequacies in the natural language description of
   workflows
   - or know of any open repositories of workflows that you or your
   colleagues may use to upload their workflows.

I would be happy to post responses back to the list, but will have to wait
until I have collated all of the information that I am using for the
project, which means that I may not do this until after the internship is
over. For now, it would be best to keep updated on my website.

Thank you very much for your time!

Richard Littauer
DataONE Intern
http://notebooks.dataone.org/workflows