[ecoinfo] data archiving best practices

Wilson, Bruce E. wilsonbe at ornl.gov
Fri Aug 14 04:58:51 PDT 2009

James -- thanks for sending the link.

John -- The substantial trend is to put things on spinning disk, with multiple copies.  Even large NASA centers are moving away from tape storage to 100% on-line.

At a file level, I would argue (though I don't have a good reference for this) that the best practice is to maintain three copies, on spinning disk, with one substantially remote from the first two, and maintaining file checksums to guard against bit rot.  Best practice also includes using file formats that are stable (as noted in the link James sent).  For modest amounts of storage, there is a very definite interest in using the Amazon cloud storage (or equivalent) as the third copy.

Bruce E. Wilson (wilsonbe at ornl.gov)
Manager, ORNL Distributed Active Archive Center
Environmental Sciences Division
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
(office) +1-865-574-6651

Message: 3